This one is for a gigantic set of Monarch Butterfly wings that I made for the Lifeball, a ball to raise money for AIDS research in Vienna, Austria.
(Photos by Paul Allan Ballard)
1. The Idea
2. Wire hangers and duct tape (after trying several different types of wire I discovered that wire clothes hangers were the strongest).
3. Putting it all together with duct tape.
4. Then hot glue a sheer fabric on both sides and trace and fill in the outlines of your desired wing patterns.
5. Fill in the white dots.
6. Add fiery colors...almost done. Now we just need glitter and sparkly details.
7. Add sparkly details.
They sparkle when the light hits!
8. Then hot glue and/or sew shoulder straps to wear them and Voila! They are finished.
Some more pictures of the wings in action at the Life Ball in Vienna. It was lovely how they sparkled and shone like stained glass under the spotlights.
(Photo by Christian Ha)